Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Mapping Onteora




Onteora Lake GIS Proposed Mapping Project




Onteora Lake is a small body of water in upstate New York that is owned and managed by the DEC. It provides locals with a great place to fish, kayak, and hike throughout the year. The surface area of the lake is 16.5 acres and the shoreline stretches about 1.3 miles.


For my GIS research project I would love the idea of mapping out a local preserve or hiking area around my hometown of Kingston NY. I think it would be a beneficial project in getting more local people informed and aware of trails that they could be using and enjoying. One specific area that I had in mind was the Onteora Lake Region in my city. It would be great to provide a GIS created map with trail identifications. I would be able to map out about a few trails that I have walked before. I this would be something I would really enjoy doing for my GIS project and a valuable resource for the public to use when they are hiking or visiting Onteora Lake.




1 comment:

  1. Evan,

    Good job so far. I wish I could check out the trail first hand. The points you plotted look good, good start. Good luck the rest of the way.

    ReplyDelete